Home Networks Sustainability Initiatives
Investing in Our Future
Building strong connectivity with sustainable solutions
As a global, high-volume supplier of consumer electronics, we are driving towards a circular economy. Our commitment to sustainability is built on a foundation of aligning the increasing need for connectivity with sustainable solutions and practices to achieve science-based environmental targets.
By The Numbers
- >99% of applicable Home Network business unit product shipments complied with the relevant U.S., Canadian or EU set-top boxes (STB) or Small Network Equipment (SNE) energy efficiency voluntary agreements.
- 60% reduction in water withdrawal since 2019.
- ZERO "major non-conformances" in third-party certifications.
- 63.6% reduction in average CO2 per unit STB (set-top box) since 2016.
- 4.1% reduction in average CO2 per unit SNE (Small Network Equipment) since 2016.
- 47% reduction in Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions (market-based) compared to 2019 baseline.
Design for Sustainability
From day one, we are working to create greener products using our Design 4 philosophy:
- Model environmental impact of entire product life cycle: material, energy use, manufacturing, transportation, etc.
- Material circularity calculation
- Informs product eco design decisions
- Product Life Cycle Assessments (LCAs)
Minimize Material Impact
We are doing our part to reduce our footprint:
- Design our products as SUP-free from start
- Use post consumer recycled (PCR) materials in product casings
- Use Low Impact packaging materials with cautious considerations of material quality/strength, print solutions, availability, and cost
We take sustainability to the next level through close engagement with our suppliers and manufacturers:
- Work together on SBTi commitments and tracking
- Efficient manufacturing facilities that minimize the use of gas, electricity, and water
- Implementation of environmental management systems aligned with recognized international standards such as ISO14001
- Identify, monitor, and minimize relevant greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and energy consumption
- Offset unmitigated emissions through sequestration, RECS, or comparable methods
We work with our customers’ design teams, logistics and warehousing, marketing, and service returns teams to create packaging solutions that maximize sustainability end to end:
- Minimize packaging size and material usage
- Optimize transportation efficiency by maximizing shipping container space
- Prioritize sea transport over air to reduce CO2 emissions
- Work with customer logistics to agree palletization based on design, cost, warehouse handling, and racking systems
Reduce Product Use Impact
We are working to reduce power consumption while maintaining the quality of the consumer experience:
- Use intelligent power monitoring and management to automatically enter eco/low power modes during inactivity
- Software settings that can default to low-power standby mode
- Utilize the latest AC-DC power supplies to reduce power consumption when devices are in stand-by modes
- Use of TV USB ports to power low-power video devices, eliminating the need for a power supply unit
- Help customers to self-install devices when possible to reduce labor and emissions
Extend Product Life
We design for extended product life to deliver economic benefits and promote sustainability:
- Utilize sustainable materials and energy efficiency features designed for long-lasting performance, following the Design 4 sustainability framework
- Durable design to maximize product lifetime and reduce the need for frequent replacements, including protection from electrical damages, durable casing, and quality components
- Serviceability criteria includes ease of assembly/disassembly, accessible components/test points, replaceable surge protection, self-diagnostic software, durable labeling, and recycling product marking
- Repair and refurbish services
We are optimizing product design for recycling by considering material choice and ease of disassembly:
- Create a list of recyclable parts and develop a dismantling and recycling manual to ensure safe and efficient handling
- Choose recyclable materials and ensure plastic parts are free from metal inlays and coatings that make recycling difficult
- Use of identification marks and markings in conformance with ISO 11469 to indicate presence of base materials and additives in plastic parts over 25g
- Recycling and e-waste services
VodafoneZiggo and CommScope enhance sustainability efforts
VodafoneZiggo was able to package, ship, and deliver the set-top box more sustainably with a unique mailbox strategy—lowering emissions, reducing plastic and paper use, and minimizing the overall carbon footprint.
Sustainability is at the Heart of Home Networks
Hear from one of CommScope Home Network's engineering team on efforts to reduce environmental impact by eliminating single-use plastics, using recycled materials, and partnering with customers for sustainability goals. And how we are prioritizing sustainable design to produce innovative and visually appealing products that are eco-friendly.
2023 Sustainability Report
We're proud about the latest achievements but we always aim for more. Read more on the latest great work and highlights over the last year in Commscope's 2023 Sustainability Report.
Manaus Brazil Plant makes strides in sustainable footprint
As a global technology leader in connectivity, CommScope sees first-hand the world’s increasing energy requirements and the continued challenges of fossil fuel dependency. In pursuit of sustainability, and in alignment with our goals to invest in a better future that reduces the environmental impact of our operations and facilities, we have exciting news to share from CommScope Brazil.
Sustainability and Innovation Combined, with Mini TV Box
Learn about the Liberty Global Mini TV Box, jointly designed and manufactured by CommScope, has won the 2020 VideoTech Innovation Award in the Sustainability category. The device is not only small and lightweight but also made from 85% recycled plastics and has significantly low power consumption, making it an eco-friendly solution for home entertainment while delivering an outstanding user experience.